Even if it’s not your birthday today, you can count on celebrating something after trying these donuts. What makes them perfect is the fact you get the best of both worlds: soft and puffy pastry dough coupled with birthday cake glaze. Who could ask for more?
Get ready for lots of baking and decorating. We’re sure once you’re done, you’ll have people waiting in line just to get a taste.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
Birthday Cake Glaze
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- food coloring of choice
- more sprinkles!
Baking the donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder).
- Use another bowl to mix eggs and sugar. Add wet ingredients (milk, vanilla extract and oil). When combined, slowly add the mix of flour and baking powder and mix again.
- Prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper or a donut pan if you have one. Use a donut cutter (or two cookie cutters, one bigger and one smaller) to shape your donut. If you don’t have either of these, use a round glass and a smaller shot glass to create a donut hole in the center.
- Bake for 10 minutes. The donuts are done when they get slightly crispy, golden brown edges.
- Let cool, but not completely: glaze your donuts while they’re still warm.
Making the glaze
- Whisk together wet ingredients (except food coloring).
- Add powdered sugar and whisk again.
- Use a rack and another baking tray placed under the rack to catch any dripping glaze.
- Dip one half of the donut into the glaze. Place on the rack and decorate with colorful sprinkles. Let sit for 10-15 minutes to make sure the glaze has hardened.
Recipe submitted by Alice T.