If you’re a hamburger aficionado, chances are you’re always on the lookout for the perfect burger to round off your day. Or make your morning. Or sweep you off your feet for lunch.
Making one at home isn’t hard at all. The most important thing is making sure you have high-quality, fresh ground beef and dreamy toppings.
Toppings are where your creativity comes in – you can’t go wrong.
Some tried and tested toppings include:
- lettuce (duh)
- onion rings (you either love or hate caramelized onion)
- fermented vegetables (like sauerkraut or pickles)
- egg (either hard-boiled or scrambled, adding eggs to your burger will turn it into a protein bomb)
- different sauces: ketchup, mayo, mustard, Worcestershire sauce
Our recipe is a basic starting point you can use to experiment and improve your hamburger over time. It’s full of flavor and far from boring thanks to the combination of ground chili peppers, Tabasco sauce and different types of mustard.
Let’s dig in!
For 4 hamburger patties
- approximately 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2-3 ground chili peppers (or 1 tbsp chili pepper powder)
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 tsp mustard: combine different varieties (for example, Dijon and English mustard)
- fried onion rings
- cheese slices (try cheddar, mozzarella or gouda)
- Peel and chop your onion (avoid tears if possible).
- Crush chili peppers using a mortar and pestle. Alternatively, use your fingers.
- Mix all ingredients well and form patties.
- Set your home grill to a medium setting and grill for about 4 minutes on each side. For a well-done patty, grill for 5 minutes per side.
When the patties are done, slice your hamburger buns and add toppings.
The joy of the first bite can’t be beaten. Enjoy!
Recipe submitted by Jill and Joseph.