Here’s another breakfast recipe to start your day just right. The great thing about making meals like muesli or smoothies is that you can always change one or more ingredients so you can use what you already have at home or skip the ingredients you don’t really like.
This muesli is vegan and gluten-free (if you opt for gluten-free oats. Otherwise, just use regular oats). It’s easy to make and store in a jar so you won’t have to include it on your shopping list the next time you go out to buy groceries.
Once you’ve got the muesli, it will be perfect for making overnight oats full of flavor and freshness.
How to make your vegan oatmeal – ingredients:
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups oats (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts or almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup seeds (hemp, sunflower, pumpkin – you can choose just one or mix and match what you like)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup dried fruits (dates, sultanas, raisins, cranberries, apricot slices – again, you choose the yummy stuff)
- Roast your flax seeds in a pan for a couple of minutes. You don’t have to add oil. Stir occasionally.
- Transfer the roasted flax seeds to a bowl and mix with the rest of your ingredients.
- Store in a mason jar.
To make vegan overnight oats:
- In a bowl, add a desired amount of muesli and pour enough milk (almond, rice, soy) or juice so that it covers the muesli. Add seasonal fruit for more flavor and freshness. Leave to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle with nuts and seeds of choice.
Note: Oats soak up a lot of water, so don’t be surprised if your muesli looks really dry in the morning. Just add more milk, juice, or yogurt to the mix and stir until all ingredients are soaked evenly.
Recipe submitted by Mary Gibson.